No entiendo, hombres? Translate here...

05 March, 2013

A Red?! Really?

Having just finished watching the Man Utd match against Real Madrid, I can honestly say that I do think that they (Man U) were unlucky to be reduced to ten men like that and that Lee Dixon's comments about a yellow being sufficient are spot on.

Now personally, I don't actually support them, never really have but the game was definitely an enjoyable affair for a neutral such as myself (my loyalties lie in the red half of London) as both teams looked to seize the initiative in the second half of the tie. Wouldn't you know it though, that Cristiano Ronaldo scored?! It was at least decent of him not to celebrate out of respect for a former club, I'll say...

Anyway, onto what's really grinding my gears at the moment at that has to be... employers!

Having spent almost a year now in the market for a job, I find that my options despite coming from an IT background, are only as limited as my imagination. This way, it means that I can never be bogged down in circumstance and start b*tching & complaining that I 'haven't got this/that', when the reality of the situation is that I have a whole heap more than some and yet a great deal less than others.

The key here is to be satisfied with whatever one has at any one given moment. To some this is not easy because their eyes are always a-wandering around looking for what they want/need next, when the reality of the situation is (for me anyways, which is what this blog's about if you hadn't figured out by now!) that we are all part of a much bigger picture...

Take me for example...
A few years ago a charity called CompassionUK came to my then-local church (I say this because I haven't lived in my hometown of Failsworth now for over 2 years) looking for sponsors for the children they are working with. Now, I felt greatly moved at this point by the plight of these kids and wanted to make sure that my money went somewhere that would make a real and active difference in a child's life who maybe doesn't have half as much as they deserve.

They put me in touch with a young lad from Mexico called Orlando who soon created a special place in my heart as it reminded me that however ill off I consider myself to be, there's always someone else I am better off than (and I don't mean that egotistically neither!) and this was the trigger which prompted me to think "hold up, bro', I can make a difference to this kid's life and it WILL be for the better"...

So what happened? I came down off my high horse, found my soapbox and jumped on that instead and I'm still sponsoring him to this day!

Now even though money's tight at the moment, what with living on benefits that I'm striving to get off of (I believe in making my own way in this world), there are things that I would rather do with out than the knowledge that a portion of my income is going to help Orlando have a better present and a brighter tomorrow... BECAUSE I CAN!!!

Now what I'm saying here is not open to interpretation because I'm seeing month on month, year on year, what a difference I am making in sponsoring him and this is what makes me feel proud the most; that I'm looking outside of myself and towards others to see where I can help them for a change!

The 'Pay Off' then (get used to my Impact! quotes folks!) is that I'm actively making a difference, simply by cutting my cloth to fit my circumstance and refusing to lie down and give in to the abyss that seeks to keep us selfish all the time!

Final Thought

So, in closing then, it is left for me to say that people should seek the initiative themselves, don't let people try to keep you in a box or put you down and tell you that you'll "never achieve anything if you don't go to uni" (something a college teacher told me that once, I'd put his name but he ain't worth it anymore), go out there, seek fulfilment and be the best that you can at what you do!

Not at the expense of others, but to get alongside them and pull in the same direction toward a better place we're all heading to!

Peace out!
SRCook

No comments:

Post a Comment