No entiendo, hombres? Translate here...

10 March, 2013

Wembley For Wigan!

Well, this was certainly an unexpected event!

I've already declared my footballing loyalties in a previous post, a London red (for you to figure out, but it's not hard really!) but as a neutral, I could not go without commenting on the Everton vs. Wigan Athletic game in the 6th Round of the FA Cup.


On paper, it looked as though this could have been a walk in the park for Everton against a Wigan Athletic side who were looking to put some solidarity in their results and performances after a straight 50-50 split of two wins and two defeats, scoring 10 whilst conceding 5 in the process. This compares with Everton's also 50-50 split of two wins and two defeats, yet their goal tally tells a slightly different story, scoring 7 whilst leaking 4.

With that in mind, maybe this result was foretold!

Within the first half hour Wigan were all over the Toffees like a rash and let me tell you, when I was putting the finishing touches to my lunch (cheese & onion quiche, wedges & veg thank you kindly!) in the kitchen, I heard the commentators go ape as the first goal went in. I thought 'here we go, Everton have started like they did against Oldham the last time out...'

How wrong I was...
Maynor Figueroa it was that started the ball rolling against an Everton side that I thought would have lasted longer than 30mins. So I go back into the kitchen, full of the joys of spring that maybe, just maybe an upset was on the cards!

Second mistake! 

I'd just about served up and was in the process of prepping to bring it in and the commentators go crazy again, Wigan have made it 2-0 and this time, it's Callum McManaman who's scored a cracker!

"Whoa, maybe I should've had a flutter on this" I thought, something I've never done before, but with days like that it should've been worth a punt eh?

With lunch now served up, I'd sat down and was busy making sure my brew was adequate (mine's a coffee, no sugars ta!) and WHAMMO... 3-0 and Jordi Gomez adds the finishing touch that sent quite a lot of Evertonians packing!

At half-time the talk was about whether Everton could mount a comeback as the commentators referred to a match with a similar scoreline that ended in a 4-3 comeback in recent years in the same competition.

Where was it? Where was this comeback supposed to come from? Because I'd swear it was as if Wigan were Everton (a top six side) and vice versa!

I kept thinking 'any minute now they're going to score, they're going to break the deadlock', but it became apparent that as the second half wore on, it was Wigan who were more likely going to notch up number four! I will at this point say it was almost a cracker that Ross Barkley could've buried had Wigan's keeper Joel Robles not been awake having been ready when called upon.

So looking ahead, what next for the 'Latics? Well, they've got a game against Newcastle coming up, whereas Everton have a lunchtime kick off on the 16th March against the Premier League Champions (and form team second only to Man United) Manchester City, so will there be a backlash? Time alone will tell says I.

Well, that's 2 down, only another 15 to go! Easy Street? HELL YEAH!!!

Peace out, bro's!
S.R. Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment